July 26, 2014

THE OVERSIZED JOY OF THE TINY SUNFISH

I’ve sailed on many boats over the years from the nimble Laser to the majestic 12 meter to the stalwart New England catboat, but my fondest memories and best stories involve one of the smallest boats out there – the mighty Sunfish.  My Dad taught me to sail our first Sunfish in Wellfleet Harbor on the Cape and I learned more as a summer camper on the Chesapeake Bay.  I eventually taught little kids to sail their own Sunfish at that same summer camp which was the most fun anyone could have and still get paid. 

Last week, before our weekly Sunfish race, I took my 5 year old daughter and six of her little friends on a “pirate adventure” in Crow’s Pond in Chatham aboard our unrigged Sunfish, which involved me dragging the Sunfish by the painter and them riding along, jumping off and filling it up with sea creatures.  I can tell you from that experience that the cockpit of a Sunfish functions perfectly as a saltwater aquarium, but not if you plan to sail the boat anytime soon. 

After cleaning out an impressive collection of periwinkles, whelks, hermit crabs, spider crabs, seashells, and even a feisty horseshoe crab, I was ready to race in the Sunfish Regatta at Crow’s Pond.  When I say Regatta that makes it sound impressive, right?  In fact, it’s a group of mostly older men from our wonderful Harbor Coves neighborhood, who come out every Sunday in the summer to race their boats.  Skill levels and boat rigging varies, but the competitive spirit is consistently high.  This is such a fun and lively event with anywhere from 3 – 15 boats competing solely for the glory of bragging rights.  High winds bring excitement as boats capsize and equipment breaks and light winds bring out the physicist and engineer in us all.  I have to confess I’m a high wind day kind of sailor and love the feeling of screaming on a reach, pulling the boat back from a capsize or righting the boat quickly, but I’m as grumpy as any old man when something needs to be fixed mid-race.  After the races, friends and neighbors gather at the shoreline for snacks and beer and to catch up and thank everyone for participating.  It’s New England tradition at it’s finest – all made possible by one of the best little sailboats ever made.

If you’re looking for a gift for your favorite sailor, chances are they have the same fond memories of their first Sunfish and would love one of our Sunfish Wicked T’s. Shop www.chathamivy.com.







All photos via:Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Sunfish Wicked t-shirt! Especially the pink & green version because it's my alma mater's colors! (I just wish she was a brunette...) ;) I grew up racing Sunfish at the Jersey Shore - and sadly our yacht club has phased them out in favor of Optimists and Lasers. I was always the holdout in my Sunnie because it's such a classic and simple boat. People have great memories of sailing on Sunfish. They are absolutely the perfect little boat for everyone. :)

    ~ Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, We loved your comment. Today in the sunfish races we took two 3rds and a 4th, but we didn't capsize this time! We are so glad you love our Wicked Sunfish tee. We wear ours proudly and it's a best seller!

    ReplyDelete